Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Gift -- How do you Love?

Today a little bunny rabbit taught me a great lesson about love, and life.

My cats are hunters, and today they brought in a little baby bunny. They “played” with it, and I thought it was dead. I brought it outside and placed it under one of the evergreen trees on our property, safe from any random prowlers. The poor little thing had some skin off it’s hide, and it was obviously in pain. I felt so sad for the little guy, but what can you do? My cat was just playing with it. The cat had no malicious intent towards the bunny, but cats are predators. That’s just what they do.

As I looked down at the injured little bunny, I told the little creature I loved it very much, but I also felt an overwhelming feeling of sadness. I felt like planet earth was simply a brutal place to live, and that mankind has fucked up everything. Our consciousness is so low; we murder and kill and pollute, and there seems to be a large imbalance in the good we do in comparison to the bad. As the dominant species on earth, that destructive consciousness seeps, like water through a sieve, into the consciousness of every other species.

The little bunny opened and closed his eyes, as if to say: “what did I get myself into down here?”

I thought about the bunny all afternoon, and every time I did I felt the same wave of sadness, just like I did with the cat a few weeks back. I knew there was a lesson somewhere, and I asked my spiritual guides –– the guys –– to tell me what it was.
On my way home from my Toastmasters meeting, I suddenly got it.

The bunny was not sad because it was in pain, or because it was fed up with planet earth. That was my thing. It felt my sadness and was sad too, because my vibration overwhelmed it. It was just responding to MY pain.

The bunny was here to learn to experience earth in its joys and its pain and misery. That’s what it was here for. But I couldn’t get it. I thought that the bunny should live in happy bunny land. I couldn’t understand that a spirit might WANT to experience anything less than happiness. Then I realized that my love for the bunny wasn’t really love at all! I understood, in a flash, that love means love for what a thing IS, right now, not what I THINK it should be.

If I had truly felt love, I would have felt joy, admiration and celebration for what it had accomplished and what it was being, in the moment. Even though it was in pain. When I understood that, my sadness just vanished.

Now I know what love is, truly.

Love is the acceptance and the celebration of what someone is being, what someone is experiencing, what someone IS, right now.

That understanding blew my mind, for now I understand better what the Masters have been saying throughout the millennia, and how a Master can confront even the most gruesome evil. For love, which dissolves all things, is something that is so powerful, it can admire ANYTHING. The acceptance and understanding that goes along with this kind of love, I am sure, has healing properties. I’m sure that is the kind of love that allows a Master, like Jesus the Christ, to heal by a touch, or by merely being in the same space.
This profound understanding was a gift to me, and now to you, from a little cat and a little bunny rabbit.

Epilogue

If you are sensitive, then living on planet earth can be excruciatingly painful. Most people would probably laugh at my story. “What are you getting so emotional about a stupid little rabbit? Grow up!” Well ,I am getting to the point where I can see that all life is sacred. I can feel the connection between all living things and God. I am getting to the point where I will not even step on an ant or a beetle when I’m standing at the tee pad playing disk golf. I wait for the little guys to move away before I take my shot.

Fortunately, I play with a guy who understands. My wife understands, and so do all of my friends. That is a blessing, I can tell you that. I am beginning to feel the words “all life is sacred” instead of just knowing it intellectually.

Consciousness created the universe and everything in it. Consciousness created the earth and all of the species upon it, and we are all here sharing experiences and growing together. The little bunny and the little cat taught me that there is no bad experience. It blew my mind when I understood that the bunny wanted to experience what it had at the hands of my cat. I was sad because I could NOT. The bunny and the cat, I realized, were far more evolved than I.

I often rant about the psychosis of the human race and how we have messed up the planet, but now I understand that humans are just like the bunny and the cat. We are here to experience excruciating joy, and excruciating pain; excruciating love and excruciating misery. Because we are the dominant species, we just do this on a grander scale. The two little guys have taught me to be more tolerant toward our species as a whole, and to better accept the activities of my fellow man. For acceptance is love, and love is the only way the human race can transform the planet from the vibrations of hatred and scarcity and war.

You can’t have positive change on a broad scale until you learn to love. And that means unconditional acceptance of the actions of our fellow man, and all life forms.

That’s what we’re here for.

No comments: